Friday, January 28, 2011

Officially official

I will be starting my next tattoo journey on February 3rd!


I will be working with Mark Corliss at Spilt Milk Tattoo for the beginning of my three quarter sleeve or schichibu ("seven tenths" of the sleeve to the forearm).  I was originally going to be getting a full sleeve or nagasode ("long sleeve") but due to my existing wrist pieces, Mark and I decided a three quarter sleeve would look best.

My existing pieces

My first tattoo, located on my lower back:


My second tattoo, on the back of my neck.  It reads "ookami" which is wolf is Japanese.


And my latest tattoo's, a matching set to my husband Tim's. A red heart, because I always wear my heart on my sleeve, and a black key to Tim's heart.



This next piece will be the beginning of some pretty extensive tattoo work I have planned.  I am very excited but also a little nervous.  I will be three quarter sleeves on both arms, and a full back piece which will be covering my existing moon piece.  I may also be getting two side pieces, but those are not finalized yet.

I have always been fascinated by tattoo, and once I started learning about Irezumi (traditional Japanese tattoo) I knew I had found my style.  It would be a dream to travel to Japan and be inked by one of the masters of Irezumi, Horiyoshi III but happily I have found an amazing artist closer to home to help me on my quest.

One of the reasons I am so nervous is my husband has a half sleeve, a beautiful flame piece that he did in one sitting (5 hours total).  The next day his arm was so swollen he looked like Popeye!  Now, I am only going for a 3 hour session this time, and part of it will be dedicated to the art/stencil and mostly the outline, but I am fairly sensitive and tend to bruise easily!  As someone once put it, I have "delicate alabaster skin".  Oh well, this is something I've wanted for several years, we will just have to wait and see how it goes.

This is Tim's half sleeve, right after he got home:



Tim's piece currently:




I will be posting in the next couple days what my first sleeve, my water sleeve will consist of, and the aftermath once I get the work done.  It will be a painful but exciting journey, and I hope you will join me during the process.  Until then, this is me as I am now, next week I will be somewhat different.

Photo Copyright Cary Klein Photography

.

No comments:

Post a Comment